Raleigh,NC- Susan G. Komen for the Cure North Carolina Triangle to the Coast Affiliate released its October Calendar of Events, highlighting upcoming events for the breast cancer nonprofit and affiliated programs. Since 1985, October has been observed as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The events that take place during this month will raise awareness of the disease and educate the public concerning detection, research, treatment, and progress towards a cure.
“This month is a special time for organizations like ours that are dedicated to fighting breast cancer,” said Pam Kohl, Executive Director of the Komen North Carolina Triangle to the Coast. “We hope that we can develop awareness that goes far beyond the association of the color pink with our cause. Our goal is for both men and women to know their risk and to understand the progress that is being made, not only towards better treatment but also a cure. With all of these events and organizations, we have no doubt that a resounding impact can be made in October in the name of breast cancer awareness.”
· October 1st- BiNational Health Week, Celebration UNC CELAH- Location: Lineberger Cancer Center, Center-Pagano’s Conference Room (9:00-3:00pm)
Carolina Premium Outlets Pink Event. From October 1st to the 31st, making a donation to Komen at your favorite stores at the Carolina Premium Outlets in Smithfield could result in discounts on your items purchased.
· October 2nd-BJ's and Duke Cancer Institute “Pink Picnic”- Location: BJ’s Raleigh Capital Blvd Store (11:30-1:00pm)
· October 3rd- PEACE.LOVE.PIRATE Health Fair -Location: ECU Campus (10-2pm)
· October 4th- Breast Cancer Golf Classic- Location: MacGregor Downs Country Club (10-4pm)
Zumbathon- Location: VFW Post 7318 Southern Pines, NC (2-4pm)
· October 6th -Making Strides, American Cancer Society- Location: North Hills Raleigh (8:30-11:30am)
Viva Raleigh- Location: Green Road Community Center (1-5pm)
Women in Pursuit of Destiny- Location: Marshall Chapel Baptist Church (9:30am)
· October 8th-Wellness Workshop, Breast Fest-Location: Vidant Edgecombe Hospital (6-8pm)
· October 9th- Komen Night at NC Theatre’s performance of Legally Blonde, the Musical. Show will run from October 9th to the 14th, 10% of ticket cost of any performance is donated to our Affiliate when using promo code: KOMEN.
· October 12th- Survivor Spa Day- Location: Lincoln Community Health Center (9-1pm)
City of Raleigh Wellness for Life, Annual Health Fair and Fun Walk- Location: Nash Square (11-2pm)
· October 13th- Sister’s Network, NC Triangle “Gift for Life Block Walk” Location: Ivy Community Center, Durham
· October 14th- PinkFest, Komen Affiliate’s Annual Survivor Celebration Location: Renaissance Hotel, Raleigh (2-5pm)
· October 16th- Pink Day at the North Carolina State Fair- Location: NC State Fairgrounds
· October 18th- Clayton Junior Women’s Club Meeting-Location: Clayton Junior Women’s Club (7-8pm)
· October 19th- Survivor Dinner- Location: Leo Jenkins Cancer Center, Greenville (6-8pm)
· October 21st- Pink Ribbon Road Race – Location: Brook Valley Country Club, Greenville (12-3pm)
· October 26th- Purolator Wellness and Benefits Fair- Location: Fayetteville (7:30-3pm)
· October 27th- AWARE for All Clinical Research Education-Location: Durham Technical Community College (9-2pm)
East Coast Eagles Hockey Pink game- Location: The Factory, Wake Forest (Time TBD)
Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second leading cause of cancer-related death among women n the United States. There will be an estimated 6,000 new cases in North Carolina in 2012. Of these new diagnoses, it is expected to claim 1,000 lives. For more information about Susan G. Komen for the Cure Triangle to the Coast Affiliate, breast health or breast cancer, visit komenntc.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN.
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen North Carolina Triangle to the Coast Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Komen North Carolina Triangle to the Coast Affiliate serves 29 counties in central and eastern North Carolina; holding two annual Race for the Cure events in Raleigh and Wilmington. Seventy-five percent of the net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the service area. In 2012, $1.1 million was distributed to 19 service agencies to provide a continuum of breast health services to underinsured and uninsured women in our service area. The remaining twenty-five percent funds national breast cancer research; the Affiliate contributed $400,000 in 2012. That same year, $2.4 was returned to the area in the form of research grants at Duke and the University of North Carolina. For more information, call 919-493-2873 or visit www.komennctc.org.